Journalism 4250

Friday, September 21, 2007

Second Post: Stereotypes of Disabled Persons

When I think of disabled people, my first thought usually doesn't go to mentally handicapped people. So I thought I'd examine some of the depressing stereotypes about them.

I think most people don't tend to see mentally handicapped people as people. I think they're usually thought of as punch lines that rather conveniently don't know people are laughing at them. However, I don't think these stereotypes are from news coverage or mass media. Rather, I think these assumptions and attitudes are part of a whole mindset that is instilled from a very young age. One of my earliest memories is playing soccer after school, making some sort of mistake, and thus being called a retard. From then on, I noticed that most everyone uses "retard," "tard," or "f**king retard" as a sort of go-to insult, one you can use in any situation, and are used at least as commonly as any cuss word.

If anything, I think mass media and news coverage should be applauded for their sensitive, PC approach to referring to the mentally handicapped. I usually get pretty frustrated with how PC everything has to be nowadays, with all the time and effort spent avoiding hurting anyone's feelings, but in this case, I think I see the light.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home