Journalism 4250

Friday, September 14, 2007

First Post: News Habits

When I want news, I usually turn on CNN. I do this only a few mornings a week, and I will very occasionally seek out online news media, from CNN online or BBC online for international news, although again I don't really do this very often, as most of it alternately depresses or angers me. I stay away from Fox news and anything Fox-related, because their bias, and their "whatever" approach to hiding that bias disgusts me.

As far as my assumptions regarding the media's treatment of race, gender, sexual preference, or disability, I assume the minorities will be over-represented in crime stories, that women will rarely be shown in leadership roles and often in servile/sexual roles, that sexual preference will only be discussed insofar as it related to controversial socio-political topics, like marriage and priesthood. Disabilities are usually avoided outright, unless it's a feel-good puff piece about overcoming an acquired handicap.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home